Completion of the project on The Blind Dniester
The Blind Dniester riverbank and the history of its formation begin in the XIXth century in the meadow between the villages of Copanca, Talmaza and Leuntea located in the districts of Căuşeni and Ştefan Vodă. The bank has the shape of a horseshoe with multiple bends, having a length of 43 kilometers. It is an important natural monument, which, unfortunately, to this day, remains unprotected.
The Blind Dniester riverbank has provided food to the locals living in the area during the famine of 1946-1947. However, since the 1960s, fauna and flora of the region has rapidly declined in number and diversity of species.
The Soviet regime has ordered floodplains to be capitalized so that no wildland would exist. The artificial connection of the old riverbed with the Dniester River has become very weak, which prevented the water from flowing from the river to the old riverbed during periods of moderate floods. In order to improve the condition of the Blind Dniester bank and to ensure its water supply, during April 2018 – February 2019, the Ecological Society “BIOTICA” implemented the project “Contribution to Wetland Rehabilitation: Pilot Project for the Blind Dniester riverbank”.