In 1560, Alexandru Lăpuşneanu, by means of a deed, passes the village to the Capriana Monastery. It is believed that the slopes, located on the right bank of the Dniester, in the vicinity of Purcari village belonged for a while to the Zograf Monastery from the Athos Mountain in Greece. It is known that the terraces of the Dniester where the present village of Purcari is located have hosted in different periods of history various human settlements. The settlements discovered here by archeologists are all between 1300 and 2300 years old. There are also 5 mounds that have been preserved in the village, which date back to the nomads’ times. The date of the village’s foundation is April 11, 1560, which marks the period of the first reign of Alexandru Lăpuşneanu. However, there are testimonies suggesting that the village could date back to 1518 or even to 1503, when the first settlements appeared around the “Purcari Well”. In the old times, the Moldavian Road would cross the village linking the country to the fairs of Europe and Asia.
Purcari area is one of the most favorable for viticulture in Moldova. The oldest wine factory in the Republic of Moldova is still operating today in Purcari. It is also the place where the famous “Negru de Purcari” wine is being produced. In 1827 the first specialized winery was established. Here, a big variety of grapes used to be grown. At the agricultural exhibition in Chisinau (1847) the wines of Purcari won the first gold medal, though, the real triumph was obtained at the International Exhibition in Paris (1878), when the “Negru de Purcari” wine was awarded the Gold Medal. Since then, the wine was never missing from the lavish banquets of the Queen of Great Britain and other European monarchs. The classical production technology of “Negru de Purcari” was rediscovered in 1950 by Pimen Cupcea, while another wine professional, Ion Ungureanu, created “Rosu de Purcari”. In the XIX century, one of the 4 lower agricultural schools in Bessarabia was opened here. Visitors will be impressed by the vineyards in the Dniester Valley, as well as the local traditions that have been kept intact from the medieval period to this day.
EXCURSIONS AND LOCAL VISITS
■ at the estate of the medieval vineyards (1560), with the church “Inaltarea Domnului” (1986) and old houses along the old Moldavian Road;
■ tasting of the most famous Moldovan wine “Negru de Purcari” at the oldest wine factory in Bessarabia (1827), which was established by a special decree in 1827 as the first specialized winery, and was named Ghermanson in honor of one of the founders. In the XIX century the classic European grape varieties were brought to Purcari: Cabernet-Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir;
■ observation of the flora and fauna of the Dniester valley (Bahna, Banghea, Carpana forest, the old Caliana riverbed, Causu, Sernetea, Carmogea, Rusca or Garla Satului) and of the geo-paleontological fossils. Viisoara village is also part of the commune now.
Cornei Valley, Hamila Mound, Geamanei Valley, Adanca Valley, Porcului Valley, Ierezu Lake, Beca turn in the Dniester valley, Vamesului Mound, the “golden water” spring, Turcului Well, Gismea, Viisoara and Purcari forests, etc.
The local museum of study of the native land;
“RAPA DIN PURCARI”
It is also a monument of geological and palaeontological significance (5 ha), displaying fossils of the Hipparion fauna and a unique geological structure. It is located 1.9 km from the Dniester river. It can be reached by following the R30, L515 (through Viisoara) and L530 (through Rascaieti) roads; it can be accessed without paying an entrance fee year-round.
Dumitru Damaschin and Galina Dolgoter (osier plaiting),
Maria Dicusar and Maria Ciubari (embroidery)