Being one of the largest villages in the country, Talmaza is also the first settlement found on the Nistru riverbank in the Stefan Voda district. It is generally believed that the village dates from the ‘30s. of the XVI century, although it is mentioned for the first time in a document from the year 7040 (1532). In 1595, together with 6 other nearby villages, it was transferred to the Tatar khan. The word “talmaz”, otherwise, translates from the old Tatar as “tireless”. It is speculated that the first villager of Talmaza (approx. XII-XIV centuries) could have borne a name of Turanian origin, or the nickname “talmaz”, which in turn gave the village its name.
The famous Turkish traveler, Evlia Celebi, after his 1657 trip, wrote that Talmaza was a “Wallachian village”, even though it belonged to the Tatar khan. Talmaza is also the home village of the celebrated encyclopaedist, a member of the Romanian Government in the interwar period, Stefan Ciobanu.
The Nistru River cuts through most of the land on which the village of Talmaza is situated. A place worth visiting is the old riverbed of the Nistru River which the locals dubbed “The Blind Nistru”. Here, the wetland flora and fauna have been preserved intact, exactly as two centuries ago. There is also a beautiful swamp forest surrounding the area. Additionally, a part of the old “Turkish Garden” can be found here. It is probably one of the first protected natural areas in Europe, where a few centuries ago the Turkish administration forbade the exploitation of the forest by the locals in order to preserve it and increase its biodiversity. The forest can be reached through the “Strait” – a narrow and steep area in the northwestern part of the village. At the same time, there are several streams in this area(Stanuşte, Gârla Cazionă, Gârla Cucului, Gârla Satului, Adana, Bahna Cioroiului, Bătlănița, Iezerul, Știubeiul, Cruglic, Puica), which goes around the secular forest of Jidran and Unghiul Boului. Also, the lower Nistru thresholds can be found here;
The first church in the village dates from 1794 and was built out of wood. After a fire in the early XIXth century, it was rebuilt, also using wood as the main building material, on a stone foundation and was covered with shingles. In addition to the church, in 1863 a parochial school was opened in the village. In 1876, a new stone-built church was consecrated in the village. However, it was destroyed in 1944 during the wartime. In 1989 a council is organized in the village to coordinate the construction of the new church.
Several picturesque valleys (Valea Adâncă, Valea Cânichii, Valea Moş, Valea Oiței, Valea Popii, Valea Teti, Valea Părului) and high hills (Chiscu lui Murg, la Hârtoape, la Ruptură, la Mălăcheşti) complete the landscape of the Nistru Valley. The plains in the village still retain old local names (Altița, Arpintea, Frasănul, Jidran, la Câzâl, Fundul Colacului, la Hârlău, la Chep-tănărița, la Sărături, la Cucoşoaie, la Chira, Locul Popilor, în Toloace, Știubei, Ungiul Boului etc). One can quench his thirst at several local springs (Șuşmeaua, at Chiperi) or old fountains (Buiuvan, Donos, Ananii, Dogaru, Ţiganului, Lupoaie, Răului, Ţânțar, Pungă, Frunze);
■ several archaeological monuments (tombs – Movila cel Mare, Movila de Șleah, Movila from the Antigraine Station) can be visited, including the paleolithic station “Știubei”;
■ Teti Valley, with the “Dumbrava” Rest Camp and fishing lake;
■ Old Albia “Nistru Orb”; ■ Landscape reservation “Turkish Garden”,
■ The secular forest in Jidran, located on the banks of the Dniester River at the water thresholds; ■ The forest in Arpintea, in the prickly pear etc.
The local museum located within the “Ștefan Ciobanu” Theoretical High School, The Green Museum,
Tatiana rifle (embroidery),
Elizaveta Prognosis (crochet)